I grew up in Albuquerque, graduated from Eldorado High School, and studied American and Latin American History at the University of Kansas. I also played first base and outfield for the varsity baseball team. Rock Chalk Jayhawk! After KU, I spent two summers playing and coaching baseball in Eskilstuna, Sweden and then spent several more years working as an International Envoy Coach for Major League Baseball in South Africa, Germany, Indonesia, Singapore and China. These were life-changing experiences, to say the least.
I came home to New Mexico and attended the University of New Mexico School of Law. My practice focuses on civil litigation with an emphasis in personal injury and medical negligence litigation. I have successfully appeared before the New Mexico Court of Appeals and have successfully argued in the New Mexico Supreme Court, which was an absolute thrill.
I co-coach the UNM School of Law mock trial team and frequently guest teach in the Perspectives in Medicine course at UNM School of Medicine. During that course, I work with medical students on medical-legal issues and explore some common scenarios and pitfalls that give rise to my client’s legal claims. I believe an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and hope we all learn from each other’s perspective and experience.
In my spare time, I enjoy scuba diving, woodworking and exploring the great outdoors with my incredible wife and best friend Cara Scholl D.D.S.
J.D. 2011 University of New Mexico
- Summa cum laude—graduated 2nd in class of 2011
- Order of the Coif
- Lewis R. Sutin Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- LexisNexis Award for Academic Excellence
- Clinical honors
- Member of UNM’s 2011 regional champion National Mock Trial Team that competed at TYLA National Mock Trial Competition
- CALI Award Recipient for Excellence in: Civil Procedure II; Southwest Indian Law Clinic; and Advanced Torts
- Student Articles Editor for New Mexico Law Review
B.A. History 2006 University of Kansas
- Forrest Hoglund Scholar Award
- Intercollegiate Athletics: Baseball (played first base and outfield)
- Academic All-Big XII honors
A.S. 2003 Lamar Community College
- Distinguished Academic All-American
- First Team Athletic All-American: Baseball
- Selected in Major League Baseball’s 2002 amateur draft by Kansas City Royals
- Harrison v. Board of Regents of University of New Mexico, 2013-NMCA-105, 311 P.3d 1236, (affirming trial court’s issuance of punitive sanction against UNM hospital for witness tampering), cert. granted, 2013-NMCERT-010, 313 P.3d 251, cert quashed after oral argument, May 30, 2014.
- State v. Belanger and New Mexico’s Lone Stance on Allowing Defense Witness Immunity, 40 N.M.L.Rev. 241 (2011)
- Disclosing and Deposing Treating Physicians in New Mexico, The New Mexico Trial Lawyer, March/April 2015.
- 6/27/14: NMTLA Damages Seminar, Size Matters, Legal Update on Damages in New Mexico
- 8/19/14: NBI Seminar on Hearsay
- 10/21/15: NBI Seminar on the Rules of Evidence
- New Mexico State Bar Association
- Federal District Court for the District of New Mexico
- Hopi Tribal Court: Lay Advocate (inactive)
- New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association of Justice