After graduating from law school in 1977, I moved to Albuquerque and spent over two years working as an Assistant Public Defender in Lea and Bernalillo counties. It was “trial by fire”, and I had the opportunity to handle dozens of jury trials, spending a great deal of time at the courthouse. This is an experience most younger lawyers don’t have these days.
In 1980, I moved from handling criminal cases to civil cases. I have 35 years of experience in civil litigation, handling cases involving personal injury, wrongful death, nursing home abuse, products liability, premises liability, medical malpractice, legal malpractice, insurance bad faith, civil rights, pharmacy errors, trucking accidents, birth related injuries, sexual abuse and catastrophic injury claims. Since 1980, I have tried over 50 civil jury trials and over 25 non-jury trials in state and federal courts all over New Mexico.
Since 1981, I have served as a hearing officer and reviewing officer for the New Mexico Disciplinary Board. The Board is responsible for investigating disciplinary and ethical complaints against attorneys. On occasion, Disciplinary Counsel is responsible for filing formal charges against attorneys. In 1993, the New Mexico Supreme Court appointed me to serve on the Disciplinary Board itself. I served on the Board from 1993 to 1998, acting as Vice-Chair from 1997 to 1998.
I have been honored on numerous occasions when I have been recognized by my peers as outlined below. One of my favorite “extra curricular” activities is to teach at the University of New Mexico School of Law as Adjunct Faculty member where I have taught trial practice. I hope I have had a positive impact on the lives and careers of some of today’s young lawyers.
In November 2009, I tried Selk vs. ResCare with my partner, Carl Bettinger, and Tom Lilley from Roswell. The case involved the sexual assault of a developmentally delayed individual in a group home. After a three-week trial, the jury returned a verdict in favor of my client in the amount of $54,100,000, one of the largest personal injury verdicts in the state of New Mexico.
My Legal Career
- New Mexico trial lawyer since 1977
- 59 civil jury trials
- 27 non-jury trials
- Over 250 administrative hearings before the New Mexico Medical Review Commission
Voted by other attorneys:
- Best Lawyers in America since 1992 – Medical Malpractice and/or Personal Injury
- Best Lawyers in America – voted the 2011 Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year for Albuquerque
- Best Lawyers in America – voted the 2014 Albuquerque Medical Malpractice Plaintiff’s Lawyer of the Year
- Southwest Super Lawyers – Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury
- Southwest Super Lawyers – voted one of Top 25 Lawyers in New Mexico in 2007 and 2008
- Rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell – reflecting the highest rating for competence and ethical practice
- American College of Trial Lawyers – inducted in 2005
- The Legal Importance of Documentation – Marriott Hotel, Albuquerque – November 3, 2006
- Medical Malpractice in New Mexico – New Mexico State Bar Center – April 13, 2007
- Anatomy of a Lawsuit – Porter Adventist Hospital, Denver, Colorado – May 18, 2007
- Medical Malpractice in New Mexico: An Overview – New Mexico State Bar Center – June 13, 2007
- Medical Malpractice in New Mexico: An Overview – New Mexico State Bar Center – June 25, 2008
- Successful Medical Malpractice Suits – Albuquerque – June 2008
- Medical Malpractice from A to Z – Albuquerque – March 18, 2009
- Medical Malpractice from A to Z – Embassy Suites Hotel, Albuquerque, March 31, 2010
- Dissecting Medical Malpractice: A Litigation Overview for New and Advanced Practitioners – April 24, 2013
- As Judges See It – Top Mistakes Attorneys Make in Civil Litigation – Embassy Suites Hotel, Albuquerque – November 15, 2013
- Advanced Elder Law – New Mexico State Bar Center – June 11, 2014
- Medical Malpractice Review Before the New Mexico Medical Review Commission – New Mexico State Bar Center – December 19, 2014
- Adjunct Faculty University of New Mexico School of Law since 2003
My wife, Karen, and I have five adult children ranging in age from 28 to 35. We have been blessed with 4 grandchildren. We have the best dog in the world, Toby. Toby comes to our office most days, sleeping most of the time but taking care of clients and visitors. I love most outdoor activities and take advantage of the beautiful New Mexico weather and scenery whenever I have the opportunity.